Tourism Data Use Case
Economic Key Figures of Swiss Tourism
Dashboard Economic Key Figures of Swiss Tourism
The dashboard below visualises economic key indicators of Swiss tourism. The first two pages of the dashboard visualise the Tourism Satellite Account, which is the basic statistic for measuring the economic impact of tourism. The Tourism Satellite Account is published every 3 to 4 years by the Federal Statistical Office (FSO). The key measures in this statistic are internal tourism expenditure, gross value added and employment in full-time equivalents.
Pages 3 and 4 of the dashboard show the Tourism balance of payments by FSO. This statistic reflects Switzerland’s receipts and expenditure from trips abroad. Revenue represents the value of goods and services purchased by non-residents during their stay in Switzerland, while expenditure represents the value of goods and services purchased by Swiss residents during their stay abroad.
Page 5 shows the tourism-related investment in Switzerland’s tourist municipalities. On page 6, these investments are broken down into 8 categories.
How to use the tourism dashboard
Below are some tips on how to interact with the Dashboard to find answers to your questions:
- Click the rectangle icon in the bottom right corner to view the Dashboard full screen.
- Use the navigation at the top to access the different pages of the dashboard.
- The dashboard has filters that you can use to select specific data to display.
- Move your mouse over the information and numbers on the dashboard. Wherever the pointer changes to a hand, you can interact with the dashboard and make selections.
- Hovering over a time dimension (e.g. year) sometimes displays a plus/minus sign. Clicking on the icons allows you to view the data in finer/coarser temporal granularity.
- Use the drop-down menus to view specific metrics.
Do you want to work on another data use case?
Do you have other idea how to use tourism data in practice? We are happy to discuss it. Please contact us.
This website was created as part of Resilient Tourism Project (Suproject 1: - National Data Infrastructure for Tourism). Resilient Tourism is one of 15 flagship projects approved and supported by the Innosuisse- Swiss Innovation Agency. Flagship projects are systemic and transdisciplinary innovations that are central to current and future economic and social challenges in Switzerland.